Liverpool Music, Entertainment History & Film Locations
- Duration: 4 Hours (approx.)
- Location: Liverpool, Merseyside
- Product code: P5XVJR
This is a Music & Entertainment History tour in your own coach or MPV or you can book transport from us.
Beatles & Harry Potter
Liverpool's historical docks and Georgian architecture means that it can easily recreate locations worldwide at at significantly less cost than for example closing a road in London or Paris. Liverpool's filming industry is booming with recent films Sherlock, Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows, Fantastic Beasts, Florence Foster Jenkins & the new autobiography of Lord of the Rings author JRR Tolkien starring Nicholas Hoult & Lily Collins. It also has a long history of UK programmes for example Peaky Blinders, Foyles War, Bread, the Liver Birds & Film Starts Don't Die in Liverpool.
During this tour your fun knowledgeable local guide will explain why and how Liverpool has changed starting of course with the Merseybeat era bringing the story of the Fab4, Cilla Black, Ken Dodd, Gerry Marsden through the 70's music and the early films in Liverpool for example A letter to Brezhnev or The 51st State.
Art & Theatre in Great Urban Streets
You will walk along award winning Hope Street with its everyman theatre the place were people like the late great Pete Postlethwaite and Julie Walters have inspired others and you be amazed by the number of Hollywood film locations in Liverpool for example Baker Street in the Sherlock Holmes film directed by Guy Ritchie. Tunnel entrances, magnificent halls and of course a tour of this magnificent city
There will be several opportunities to get off to take photos and there are some short walking sections which enable us to reach things that you would otherwise not be able to reach on the coach.
The future of filming looks bright in Liverpool with proposals to create its own Hollywood themed studios at the former Art Deco buildings used by Littlewoods. This fun themed tour is a great choice for your group and your guide will give you lots of ideas and you will have free time after the tour to enjoy the rest of our city.
All guests will be given a free map of Liverpool City Centre
Suggested timings - Half Day tour (these can be amended to suit your arrival time)
- 10.00am Meet your local guide guide at the Historical Albert Docks - Postcode L3 4AE
- 10.30am Visit the Cavern Club where the Beatles played 292 times & see the Cilla Black Statue.
- 11.00am Mini Magical History Tour with a visit to Penny Lane Development Centre with its yellow mini submarine which was used at the premiere of the film Help in 1968 and have your photo taken in front of the famous Penny Lane road sign.
- 12.00pm Beatles and Filming locations coach tour of Liverpool City centre including Falkner Street in Liverpool’s Georgian Quarter which doubled up as Baker Street in the Hollywood version of Sherlock Holmes, You will also see some areas of the Docks.
- 12.30 Visit William Brown Street where you will see the Art Deco Mersey Tunnel entrance which was used for a motorcycle and side car chase in Harry Potter, St Georges Hall which is the only UK non studio location for the 2017 Harry Potter film, Peaky Blinder and Foyles War locations and 1980’s and 70’s Bread and the Liver Birds. There will be time to look in the Victorian Round Reading Rooms where there are rest rooms.
- 13.15 Visit to Museum of Liverpool with its music and entertainment exhibits including the fabulous 8-minute panoramic film of the Beatles time in Liverpool.
- 14.00 The tour finishes outside the Museum of Liverpool where there is a cafe and you are right next to the Albert Docks with the Tate Gallery,, Maritime Museum, International Slavery Museum and the Beatles Story Museum.
This is a group tour in your own coach or we can arrange transport for you which you can select as an extra at checkout.
- Half day’s tour guiding
- Museum of Liverpool
- Penny Lane Development Centre
- Cavern Club
There are lots of ways that you could extend this tour and for example you can book a visit to the British Museum of Popular Music (the BME) or a Radio City Tower Tour & you can even book a group lunch as an extra at checkout.